Wetland Mitigation Monitoring and Management
Dates: June 28-30, 2022
Location: Charlotte, Michigan
Time(s): 8:30am to 4:30pm
Instructors: Michael Pennington, EGLE & Jeremie Wilson, MDOT
Cost: $350 (MWA members), $400 (non-members)
Class Description: Did you know that 90% of monitoring reports reviewed by EGLE staff contain deficiencies? Data is often collected incorrectly and data analysis and reporting doesn’t specifically address EGLE performance standards resulting in rejection of monitoring reports. This course is a must have for consultants conducting wetland mitigation monitoring for EGLE permits. This 3-day field training will highlight the differences between collecting data for wetland delineations and wetland monitoring and will cover all aspects of wetland mitigation monitoring from site set up, proper installation of monitoring wells, vegetation sampling, data analysis and writing monitoring reports that specifically address EGLE performance standards. The last day of the course will highlight various management techniques such as initial hydrology management, planting techniques, and invasive species control that lead to successful mitigation efforts. Participants will be responsible for meals and lodging. Several lodging options are available in the Lansing area. This is a field course, participants should be prepared for varying field and weather conditions (rain gear, sunscreen, bug spray, etc.).
Michael Pennington: Michael Pennington is the Wetland Mitigation Specialist for the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy’s (EGLE) Water Resources Division. Michael serves as the program administrator for EGLE’s Wetland Mitigation Banking program and provides assistance to staff on complex wetland mitigation issues. Michael is the Co-Chair of MWA’s training committee and he wetland education and training to EGLE staff and other wetland professionals. Prior to working for EGLE, Michael administered MDOT’s Wetland Mitigation and Wetland Banking Programs for 14 years.
Jeremie Wilson: Jeremie Wilson is the Wetland Mitigation Specialist for the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT). Jeremie is responsible for planning, developing, and administering MDOT’s Wetland Mitigation Program, statewide. He has held this position with MDOT since 2012. Jeremie is currently serving his second term as a MWA board member.
Class Cancellation Notification
Five (5) days prior to the start of class, participants will be notified of a cancellation. The MWA Treasurer will refund 100% of the fee received to participants.
Cancellation Policy for Attendees
- Any attendee can transfer, at any time, their spot in the class to another person with no financial penalty
- Cancellation prior to14 days of the class is eligible for 100% refund of class fees
- Cancellation from 1-13 days of the class is eligible for 50% refund of class fees
- Cancellation within less than 1 day of start of the class (including during the class) is not eligible for any refund (0%), however the spot can be transferred to any other person.
How to Register:
1. Select the number of spaces you’d like to register for by selecting either the ‘Member Spaces’ or ‘Non-Member Spaces’. If you’d like to become a member, click here.
2. Once you’ve entered your registration information, please hit the blue ‘Submit Booking’ button and you’ll be redirected to PayPal to complete the purchase. Your booking is not complete until you’ve submitted payment information.
Bookings are closed for this event.